Tuesday 20 October 2020

PHJ Video Proposal

 Description

The video will be about the rising state of activism in Montreal. Asking what they think about all the activism that has erupted since the pandemic started and their thoughts on the subject. It will also include clips from protests as well as shots of posters popping up all around downtown Montreal. In my own experience I know there is a sense of suspicion towards this new wave of outcry. People who have been talking about racism, capitalism, patriarchy, housing schemes, homelessness for a long time are all of a sudden being acknowledged but in my own experience I haven’t seen meaningful change in my everyday encounters, at least not with the same vigor I see on social media. During this pandemic, I think people are suddenly saying they’re “ready to see” the injustice that’s been going on but will it last? I know a couple people who have had a past of being outspoken about social issues and are seeing the hypocrisy. The story overtime would evolve by showing if support for these causes subside or continue to grow. Also it could show if real changes are made and experienced both through legal forms and interpersonal interactions.

Shot list

Interview shots 

Rack focus shots of protest signs

Focus shots of posters for protests and social activism groups

Wide shots of public speakers

B roll from protests

“Portrait Videos”

Most shots will be handheld



List of contracts

Pat Dillon - Montreal journalist and radio host

Bianca Boswell - Montreal Photographer


Research questions

Where is the spike in activism coming from?

How do people feel about it

Has there been growing numbers of volunteering and community organizing

Are there any signs of laws being changed

Are protesters demands being heard


Ethical Issue

I don't want to make a video just attacking people who are not active enough in activism. This is something I am genuinely curious about and want the opinion of someone who's very involved in their community.
Also I think the topic of weather or not people really want change or are treating this as a fad could be sensitive. I also expect my source to be extremely candid and blunt and she might not have nice things to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment